A guide to safely choose GF make up and toiletries
Before we start talking about the brands you can and cannot buy, let’s clear something out.
Can gluten be absorbed through the skin?
Well, according to the Mayo Clinic, no! They explain that gluten containing products would only be a problem if you accidentally swallowed them.
Would you feel safe using a lipstick that has gluten in its composition? Of course not, right?! How about using a non-gluten free shampoo on your child’s hair, does that sound safe? I’m guessing, no!
Reading the labels of cosmetics and deciphering the ingredients is not an easy task, so learn now some scientific words for gluten found in cosmetics labels. ( Found on the website Urban Tasetbud)
- Triticum Vulgare (wheat)
- Hordeum Vulgare (barley)
- Avena Sativa (oatmeal)
- Vitamin E (not scientific but Vitamin E is sometimes derived from a wheat germ)
Now, let’s get to the make up brands!
1. Afterglow Cosmetics – The Founder, Kristin Adams, whose mother and sister both have Celiac Disease and must avoid all things containing gluten – including cosmetics and personal care products was the reason for her to make gluten free cosmetics. Their products are certified by GFCO (GLUTEN-FREE CERTIFICATION ORGANIZATION)
2. Bare minerals – Not all of their products are gluten free, but they do have foundations and products for the eyes which are gluten free. They have a disclaimer on their website that says: “Please keep in mind that these products may be made in an environment that handles Wheat, Oat, Rye and Barley derivatives.”
3. Ecco Bella – The website About.com contacted many cosmetic brands and they posted a statement from Ecco Bella that says: “There is no gluten or wheat protein in any Ecco Bella product. All our products are safe for customers with celiac sprue.”
4. IT Cosmetics – According to About.com IT Cosmetics makes two gluten-containing products: Hello Lashes mascara and Tightline mascara. The rest contain no gluten ingredients, so you are free to use them.
5. Joelle Cosmetics – On their website they state: “Proud to cater to those with sensitivities and allergies to gluten, wheat and corn”.
6.Peacekeeper Cause-metics – All of their products are gluten free. Check out all the ingredients here.
7. Red Apple Lipstick – On their website you can tell they are proud of being a gluten and allergens free company.
8. Zuzu Luxe – this company is certified gluten free by the Gluten Free Certification Organization as stated on their website.
Gluten free shampoos and conditioners
On the website of Celiac Diva you can find a list of GF shampoos and conditioners. She also provides a list of gluten free lotions.
Now, do you know and trust any brands that are gluten free? If so, share them with us in the comments below!